Interesting Facts about Egypt
Egypt Interesting Facts
Egypt, officially the Arab Republic of Egypt, is a country in Africa. Here are some interesting facts about Egypt:
- The Egyptians pay great attention to the afterlife. They believed that their soul would live on in the afterlife forever if they preserve the dead person's body through the process of mummification.
- Most ancient Egyptian pyramids were built for pharaohs and their families as tombs. Nowadays, over 130 pyramids have been discovered in Egypt.
- The largest Egyptian pyramid is called “The Pyramid of Khufu” in Giza.
- Egyptians believed make-up had magical healing powers that's why both men and women wore make-up.
- The Egyptian alphabet consisted of more than 700 hieroglyphs.
- The ancient Egyptians worshiped more than 2,000 different deities.
- Popular game “Senet” was played in Egypt for over 2,000 years.
- The ancient Egyptians considered cats to be sacred animals. It is believed that most families kept a cat as a pet, as they believed that it would bring good luck to the household.
- The Ancient Egyptians invented lots of things, such as paper, pens, locks and keys that we use till today. Even toothpaste was invented there.
- Egypt is divided into two sections as Upper Egypt in the south and Lower Egypt in the north, because the Nile flows from south to north.
- Many believe that the pyramids were built by slaves, but in fact the pyramids were built by proper laborers.
- Egypt is home to seven of the UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Interesting fact is that one of the most famous figures from ancient Egypt - Cleopatra, was actually Greek, not Egyptian.
- The longest river in the world “Nile” river cuts through Egypt and about 95 percent of the population resides along it.
- The city of Alexandria was named after the conqueror of Egypt in 331 BC.
- Egypt is located between the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea.
- The twelve-month calendar that we use today was invented by ancient Egyptians.
- Junhuriyah Misr al-Arabiya which means “The Arab Republic of Egypt” is the official name of Egypt.
- Egyptians speak in Arabic as it is their official language.
- Egypt is the largest Arab country in the world with a total estimate of about 92.1 million people.
- Egypt shares borders with Israel, Libya, Sudan, and The Gaza Strip.