Interesting Facts about Zambia
Zambia Interesting Facts
Zambia, officially the Republic of Zambia, is a country in Africa. Here are some interesting facts about Zambia:
- The traditional name for Victoria Falls is Mosi-oa-Tunya.
- More than 72 languages are spoken in Zambia.
- Victoria Falls is twice the size of Niagara Falls.
- Czech explorer Emil Holub was the first to map the famous falls.
- On 24 October 1964, Zambia became independent of the United Kingdom.
- Kenneth Kaunda was the first person to lead Zambia as its president after independence.
- Zambia produces around 1.5 million tonnes of copper every year.
- All of Africa’s Big Five can be found in Zambia
- The national currency of Zambia is called the Zambian kwacha.
- Lake Kariba is the world's largest man-made lake and is used for commercial fishing and to supply hydroelectric power to Zimbabwe and Zambia.
- Zambia was named after the fourth biggest river in Africa.
- Zambia is one of six countries where endangered species of wild dogs can be seen.
- Zambia is a landlocked country.
- Nshima is the most typical and national dish of Zambia.
- Rejecting food is rude in Zambia.
- Lusaka is the capital and largest city of Zambia.
- Zambia borders Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe.