Interesting Facts about Mexico
Mexico Interesting Facts
Mexico, officially the United Mexican States, is a country in North America. Here are some interesting facts about Mexico:
- The name of the country and the capital are the same, they are both Mexico.
- Mexico has 34 UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- First Printing Press in North America was used in Mexico City in 1539.
- The oldest university in North America is located in Mexico. The National University of Mexico (UNAM) was founded in 1551 by Charles V of Spain, 85 years before Harvard.
- The world's smallest volcano Cuexcomate is in Mexico.
- Mexican inventor Luis Ernesto Miramontes Cardenas created the world's first contraceptive.
- Mexico is jome to world’s biggest ancient pyramids. The largest pyramid in the world is the Great Pyramid of Cholula.
- Color TV was invented in Mexico. Guillermo González Camarena was an inventor who created the chromoscopic adapter for television equipment, which was an early color tv transmission system.
- Legend has it that Italian-American restaurateur Caesar Cardini invented the Caesar Salad in 1924 in Tijuana, Mexico.
- Mexico City is the second city of the world with the largest number of museums.
- The meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago fell on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.
- Mexico City was built on a lake – the city sinks around 12cm annually.
- Mexico is home to more Spanish speakers than any other country in the world.
- Mexico is home to over 200 volcanoes, more than any other country in the world.
- Mexicans drink more Coca-Cola per capita than any other nation in the world.
- Tequila originated in northwest Mexico called Jalisco. It was name after the city Tequila.
- Chihuahuas are named after the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
- Mexico’s national dog is Xoloitzcuintli.
- Mexico is home to the world’s longest-living person. Leandra Becerra Lumbreras, died at the age of 127.
- Mexico City has the world’s second largest subway system.
- Mexico is home to the world’s second-largest coral reef system.
- Mexico shares land borders with the United States, Belize, and Guatemala.