We find mention of this mosque in the historical chronicles of the 9th-11th centuries. But in the XII century the city was destroyed by the Mongol conquerors, the mosque was also destroyed.
The current Jami Mosque was built in the 19th century. Then, at the beginning of the XIX century, the enlightened and humane Umarkhan ruled the Kokand khanate. In 1814, he ordered the construction of the cathedral mosque to begin and invited about 200 talented builders for this.
The Jami Mosque was built for more than two years. The building turned out to be truly monumental, in the architectural style characteristic of the Ferghana Valley.
In the center of the large courtyard there is a minaret 22.5 meters high, with annular brickwork laying topped with a faceted dome. The mosque itself is an aivan closed on three sides, the roof of which is supported by 98 wooden columns. These columns are made of very hard wood, it is also called "stone tree". The columns are painted with special paint with the addition of gold. The walls of the mosque are decorated with very thin and elegant ganch carvings.
There was a madrasah at the mosque - a religious educational institution. Along the entire perimeter of the courtyard there were training rooms - hujras, in which students learned the intricacies of the Islamic religion. From the top of the minaret one could see the whole of Kokand. They say that criminals and unfaithful wives were thrown down from this height. And from this minaret, the muezzins called upon faithful Muslims to pray (to prayer).
Truly, the beauty and noble appearance of the Jami Mosque put it on a par with the architectural monuments of Bukhara and Samarkand.