The madrasah of Abdulaziz Khan is a medieval madrasah in Bukhara. The madrasah was erected in 1651-1652 by the Uzbek ruler from the Ashtarkhanid dynasty - Abdulaziz Khan (1645-1681). In architecture, it occupies a special place both in its importance and in the richness of its artistic decoration. The interiors of the madrasah were decorated with murals with a landscape of Indian architecture.
Under Soviet rule, the madrasah of Abdulaziz Khan was thoroughly restored in 1930 with the participation of the craftsman Usta Shirin Muradov.
Constructed by "Kosh" method together with madrasah of Ulugbek it is a harmonious architectural ensemble. The entrance is distinguished by its high and rich external ornament, in which yellow paint was first used. When decorating the madrasah, a variety of techniques were used: carved tiles and carved mosaics, relief majolica, carved marble, alabaster fresco, gilding. The madrasah is considered the pinnacle of the achievements of Central Asian architecture, contrary to the traditions of a purely ornamental decor, the walls are painted with images of flowers, trees, landscapes and even images of dragons and birds of Simurg.
The names of the Bukhara masters are woven into the ornaments - this is the calligrapher Mavlyana Muhammad-Amin, his son the mosaic artist Mim Hakan, the main court architect Muhammad Salih.
Entrance fee: 1.5 USD
Top Sights of Bukhara