Kukeldash Madrasah is the building of the madrassah of the Lyabi Hauz architectural ensemble in the historical center of Bukhara, erected in 1568-1569 under Abdullah Khan II at the expense of his close associate and omnipotent emir - Kulbab Kukeldash.
The large two-story madrasah, according to its purpose, functioned until the 1920 Bukhara revolution. In the Soviet era, at different times, it housed the office of M.V. Frunze, Bukhkomstaris, Bukhara Museum and the Regional Archive. Since construction, this madrassah remains the largest in Bukhara. It is also the largest surviving Central Asian madrasah.
A feature in the construction of the monument are the loggias, first installed on the side facades of the madrasah building.
As part of the “Historical Center of Bukhara”, in 1993 it was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Currently, it is the object of tourist services and shows, where the memorial museum of Sadriddin Aini and Jalol Ikrami is located.
Top Sights of Bukhara