The Tashkent Zoo was organized in 1924 on part of the territory of the former suburban summer residence of the Governor General of Turkestan. Prior to this, a small menagerie existed at the cottage of the governor general, which was part of the art museum located on the territory of the cottage. The zoo occupied an area of about 3 hectares.
By the end of the 1940s, the exposition of the Zoological Park in Tashkent amounted to over 200 species of various animals and birds.
In 1994, by decision of the Government of Uzbekistan, part of the territory of the Tashkent Botanical Garden began the construction of a new zoo with enclosures for landscape animals, and in 1997 it was put into operation. New Tashkent Zoo covers an area of 22.7 hectares. Currently, the Tashkent Zoo contains more than three thousand animals and birds of 600 species.
Since 1998, Tashkent Zoo has been a member of the international organization EARAZA (Euro-Asian Regional Association of Zoos and Aquariums)
Top Sights of Tashkent